28 April 2007

Yea! Censorship!

Okay, so not really. Censorship is a horrible thing, and that includes blocking of websites.

The current company that my school is using for internet filter is getting ridiculous. This site is blocked because it's a "personal page" along with many other sites. We are unable to use Google Images, and a few other sites that we used to use for research. It's not like I'm against filters because I want to be looking at inappropriate websites, but I just think it's stupid that we're not allowed to go to basic sites that are completely harmless. And this whole thing is just making us students smarter. We've discovered the wonders of proxies, and we use them a frequently. When they block one, we just find a new one. At first, we were able to change small things in the web address and get to the site, but they figured that one out pretty quickly. Rumor has it, though, that our tech teacher is mad about all the new filters, so they'll be switching companies next year. I really hope that turns out to be true.

I realize that a lot of students hate their classes for various reasons or another, but you know it's sad when the nerdy kids start hating a class too. I'm really, quite honestly, a huge nerd, but my English class is the worst class I've ever been in. The teacher has no discipline, and I find it to be quite pathetic that I feel like I'm just as competent at English as she is. We're starting our Senior Project to fulfil our graduation requirements, as well as a massive project on The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane. It's too much work, especially when you consider that we have hoemwork from other classes as well. I myself am having a difficult time balancing my college level calculus course, English, and all of my extracurriculars. Senior Project is a total joke, and I really don't want to waste my time on finishing assignments that aren't even going to count towards my actual Senior Project next year anyway. I just love how my teacher pulled me aside the other day in class to ask me if everything was okay because I had an F in her class, which is very unlike me. I really wanted to tell her that I had an F because I hate her class and it bores me to tears, but I just kept my mouth shut. Luckily, she's going to let me turn some of the stuff in late. Maybe being one of the goody-goody nerd kids is paying off. I think they're too afraid to be tough on me and let me fall on my face because I did so well before and it must mean they're doing something wrong. I guess that maybe I'm sick if them giving me slack. Our school has allowed that far too often throughout my schooling, to a variety of students, and it certainly hasn't done us any good. Only one more year of it...

You should go see The Invisible in theaters. A big group of my friends and I went and saw it last night, and it was really good. We all left depressed, but it was good. Justin Chatwin, the actor that played Nick, was pretty good. A little stiff, but good.

No comments: